Sunday, January 1, 2012

Very simple "New Years Resolution" list

Happy New Year from La Cruz, Mexico.

A few weeks ago I read a fascinating biography of the private and modest Peanuts cartoonist Charles Schulz.



 I've lived in California almost all of my life. But since my parents grew up in North Dakota and Missouri, the simple, humble ways of the midwest/northern plains folk have always inspired and intrigued me.

Anyway, Sparky ( AKA"Charles Schulz") was born and raised in Minnesota. And I was born in Minnesota, although we moved to California when I was one.

Sparky's dad owned a neat, clean and happy barber shop in St. Paul. I learned in the book that his dad adhered strictly to the book "The Art and Science of Barbering," basically the barber's bible.

In this manual, there is a list of the 10 commandments of being a successful barber. They are:


1. Maintain a good posture.

2. Wear an easy cheerful countenance.

3. Constantly practice friendliness.

4. Speak distinctly.

5. Don't be overly inclined to give advice.

6. Don't be didactic (don't go on and on about boring technical details).

7. Be a good listener. A good listener asks leading questions.

8. Be essentially informal.

9. One's success in any avenue of life depends a great deal upon his selling ability.

10. Don't take yourself too seriously.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


With the possible exception of #9 (I'm not much of a saleswoman), this list pretty much sums up my New Years resolutions for myself.

Communication and relationships are everything in life. They are certainly everything in this sailing/cruising life.

And not only does life go better when we have good friends with whom we can laugh and share experiences, it's also a safety issue.

We need each other out here.

So, Happy New Year to you. Wow. 2012.

Maybe since we're in Mexico and it is, after all, 2012 (the end of the world?) we'll head on over to one of the Mayan pyramids, climb to the top and see if we are struck by lightning or something.




Now that would be quite the blog post. :-)










No comments:

Post a Comment